The substances eventually used in laboratories may present particular dangers, could be toxic or noxious, corrosive, inflammable or explosive and could be dangerous
because inhalated by the body through the skin or the eyes, ingested in particular with the food or the smoke.
The first safety rule is the substitution of dangerous substances with other less dangerous.
Whenever one’s buy, it is compulsory to take into consideration this possibility.
SOME IMPORTANT RULES TO RESPECT
· COOL always the products in their container properly labelled.
· DON’T pour into not suitable container and without label, nor temporarily.
· DON’T leave dangerous products unattended, within everyone’s reach.
· READ always all information before proceeding with the operation of handling.
· OBSERVE always the rules of personal hygiene and generally do not eat and drink during the using of dangerous substances.
· WORK with attention wearing the Personal Protective Equipment and respecting safety indication.
Before buying one product, it is requested to acquire all necessary information to know exactly:
· Which risks may derive by using the product.
· Which devices must be taken to storage, use and to dispose of the product.
· Which Personal Protective Equipment one must buy together with the goods.
· If it is necessary to buy also one proper cabinet, proper depressor (inhibitor) reagents, proper extinguishers.
All these information must be taken asking the supplier the SAFETY DATA SHEET as requested by the D.Lgs. 52/97.
The specifications must correspond as indicated in D.M. 4 april 1997 and must indicate the following points:
· Identification of the substance preparation and of the company
· Composition and information on ingredients
· Hazards identification
· First Aid Measures
· Fire Fighting Measures
· Accidental ReleaseMeasures
· Handling and storage
· Exposure controls and personal protection
· Chemical and physical properties
· Stability and reactivity
· Toxicological Information
· Ecological Information
· Disposal Considerations
· Trasport information
· Regolatory information
· Other information
On the dangerous products risk sentences called H and care advices called P, are always reported.
Besides labelling keeps into consideration all potential dangers connected with normal handling and using of the substances and of danger products as they are sold.