Back to Homepage
The Human Cochlea in the Linear Approximation
Matlab routines for the simulation of basilar membrane oscillations similar to those used for:
Mammano F. and Nobili R. (1993) - Biophysics of the cochlea: Linear approximation -
J.Acoust.Soc.Am. (93) 3320-3332.Nobili R. and Mammano F., (1996) - Biophysics of the cochlea II: Stationary nonlinear phenomenology - J.Acoust.Soc.Am. (99) 2244-2255.The routines, originally written for the guinea-pig cochlea, have been recompiled with human cochlea parameters.
1) Geometrical parameters of the cochlear partition [GEOPLOTS.M]
2) Physical parameters of the cochlear partition [PHYPLOTS.M]
3) Travelling wave (TW) profiles in the passive cochlea [TW.M]
4) TW profiles in the active cochlea (absolute viscosity neutralised) [TW.M]
5) TW profiles in the active cochlea (absolute viscosity overcompensated) [TW.M]
6) Green's function profiles of hydrodynamic coupling [GREENF.M]
7) Unshaped coarse Green's function profiles [G0.M]
8) Green's function singularity profiles [GPEAKS.M]
9) Tectorial membrane resonance properties [TMPLOTS.M]
Freeware 1: A small Matlab package providing frequency domain simulations of the human-cochlea responses to tones of various frequencies. Download LIN_TWS.ZIP.
Frequency Domain Simulations of Nonlinear Guinea-Pig Cochlea Responses
Matlab routines (ver.5.x +) for the simulation of basilar membrane oscillations of the active guinea-pig cochlea
used for computations of theresults published inNobili R. and Mammano F., (1996) - Biophysics of the cochlea II: Stationary nonlinear phenomenology - J.Acoust.Soc.Am. (99) 2244-2255.Freeware 2: Here is a Matlab package of routines that provide frequency domain simulations of nonlinear responses to single (file iters.m) or double frequency tones (file itercomb.m, itercomb2.m) of a hydrodynamic model of the guinea-pig cochlea. Green's functions are automatically computed from stored data at the routine calls. The nonlinearity is introduced so as to account for the undamping action of outer hair cells activated by the tectorial membrane, which is in turn driven by basilar membrane oscillations. The computations are carried out by a recursive procedure that cycles through the computational sequence: frequency domain -> time-domain -> nonlinear transform -> frequency domain of the primary responses and their harmonics up to a certain order. Download NONLIN_TWS.ZIP.
Time Domain Simulation of the Human Cochlea Matlab (version 5.x) routines for the simulation of basilar membrane and tectorial membrane oscillations
of both the active and passive human cochlea. From a Graphic User Interface (Matlab window) you can
load a signal file and see the time course of the basilar membrane and tectorial membrane oscillations.
The cochlear amplification ratio is limited to 25-30 dB. All routines are commented in English.
1) The main routine COCHLEA.M. It activates a Graphic User Interface from which the programme can be run.
2) A few routines for creating the set of data that are needed to process the input signal.
3) A small repertoire of input signals with extension *.SIG. These are normal *.MAT whose
extension was changed to avoid confusion with other data files.
Freeware 2: A self-consistent Matlab-5 package providing a time domain simulation of the active cochlea under the action of various input signal. Tone-to-tone suppression and after-click persistent oscillations are reproduced. Download TD_COCH.ZIP.
Back to Homepage